A criminal charge for driving under the influence is not an easy crime to beat because of its severity, but the consequences of conviction can be dire. You could face any number of penalties and fines that may alter your lifestyle, restrict your freedom, and cause financial difficulties.
At Shelnutt & Varner, our attorneys can help if you’ve been arrested for a DUI in the southeast. There may be different charges that you have to answer for and certain requests have a limited amount of time to be filed. Because of this, hiring our experienced attorneys can help represent your best interests no matter what charges and penalties you’re facing. For assistance with your DUI case, please contact our criminal defense attorneys at Shelnutt & Varner by calling 256-547-4988.
The southeast is very stringent about their drunk-driving laws and whom they extend upon. Our attorneys have intimate knowledge of all of these laws and how we can thoroughly investigate your case in order to give you the best results.
- Drivers may not have a blood alcohol content (BAC) of 0.08% or more
- Commercial drivers may not exceed a 0.04% BAC
- Any driver that is younger than 21 years old cannot have a BAC higher than 0.02%
- First DUI offense — up to $2,100 in fines and/or 1 year in jail, 90 days without your driver’s license, and DUI school attendance
- Second DUI offense — 48 hours minimum prison stay, up to 1 year; 48 hours community service, up to 20 days; up to $5,100 fine; and driver’s license revocation for 1 year
- Third DUI offense — 60 days-1 year of prison time, up to $10,100 fine; and driver’s license revocation for 3 years
- Fourth or more DUI offense — 1-10 years of prison time, $4,000-$10,000 fine, and 5 years driver’s license revocation
Help From Our Criminal Defense Attorneys
The criminal defense lawyers at Shelnutt & Varner will work hard to investigate the details of your arrest. There are times when you may be able to avoid a DUI conviction, which can include the following:
- Your constitutional rights were violated
- Arresting officers violated protocol
- Blood alcohol testing equipment was defective
- Police officer’s reason for stopping you wasn’t legitimate
Our attorney, James Shelnutt, worked as a police officer and still works as a sitting judge. He has the experience and knowledge with every aspect of the law that you need when selecting representation in a DUI case. Place your trust in our law firm and contact Shelnutt & Varner today by calling 256-547-4988.